Managing Partner, EC3\Legal
David has been practising corporate commercial law for over 30 years, principally around the London and Lloyd’s insurance market, and in China even longer. His primary “market” is with insurance brokers, underwriting agents, MGA’s and other service providers, and those looking to invest into them such as venture capital funds, business angels and insurers. He has also dealt with many industries including oil and gas, minerals, shipping and ship finance, textiles, motor sport, football, asset leasing companies and corporate finance businesses. David qualified in 1986. He has been a partner at two of the best known London insurance and commercial legal practices, firstly Ince & Co. and most recently Clyde & Co. for 20 years.
He acts for some 130 brokers and MGA’s in the UK across a broad spectrum of corporate, commercial, employment and regulatory issues including many of the larger Lloyd’s brokers and underwriting agencies. He was a founding member of the UK Managing General Agents Association (the UK equivalent of the AAMGAA), and has become the “go to” person in the UK MGA space.
David is on the Regulatory and Compliance Committee of the MGAA and has regular contact with the UK Financial Conduct Authority (the UK regulator of brokers and insurance agents) in such capacity. He is a well-known lawyer in the Lloyd’s broking and MGA market and has a good working relationship with the Corporation of Lloyd’s.
David has acted recently in relation to:
- The purchase by Integro of Doodsons, NPA Insurance, Howard Global, Entertainment Insurance Partners, Robertson Taylor, Warren Wilson and others.
- The sale of Prime Professions to Willis
- The sale for John Laing of its captive insurer
- The purchase by NFP of Mackenzie Taylor
- The sale by Canopius of Arista
- The sale by Sime Darby of East-West Insurance
- Lloyd’s FAL transactions for Securis and ASTA
- The sale by individual shareholders of each of Consilium Employee Benefits
- City of London Underwriting
- Osprey Underwriting and Tennyson Insurance
David has extensive contacts within the corporate finance and banking sector in London specialising in the UK insurance market, and lectures to the major banks on insurance aspects as they affect banking practice. He can also provide contact details of specialised accountants and other relevant experts.
Office address 106 Leadenhall Street, London, EC3A 4AA
Direct +44 (0)203 553 4884
Mobile +44 (0)7831 500 371