The session is intended to provide attendees with a general employment law update, to include:
1. Recent employment case law and what we can learn from that.
2. An update on recent key private members’ bills, to include:
- Employment Relations (Flexible Working) bill,
- Neonatal Care (Leave and Pay bill),
- Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Bill,
- the Worker Protection (Amendment of Equality Act 2010 relating to preventing sexual harassment),
- Carer’s Leave and Protection from Redundancy (Pregnancy and Family Leave) Bill
3. An update on proposed changes to legislation / recent consultations
At the end of this session, delegates will be able to:
- Summarise recent legislative changes
- List potential changes to employment law that are currently going through consultation
- Outline recent case law and best practice arising from that
About the Presenter
Olivia qualified as a Solicitor in 2005 and is a Legal Director in the Employment Team at Birketts. She predominantly acts for clients in the financial services, life sciences and technology sectors.
Olivia has considerable experience handling employment tribunal litigation for employers, having worked on many complex, multi-day claims involving unfair dismissal, discrimination, whistleblowing, breach of contract and unlawful deductions from wages. She has advised on matters in the Employment Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal.
Olivia also has considerable experience working on cross-border international transactions and managing day-to-day international employment advice for clients operating in multiple jurisdictions.
Olivia understands the unique challenges faced by clients, having spent two spells in business – the first acting as in-house Employment Counsel for a global investment management company managing advice in EMEA and APAC and the second as Global Employment Counsel for one of the world’s leading on-line payments companies.
Olivia has a particular interest in helping companies navigate their way through compliance with the Senior Manager & Certification Regime. She is a member of the Financial Services Lawyers Association, sits on the Employment Lawyers Association (Regulatory and Finance) Committee and is a contributing editor to a chapter of Bloomsbury’s “The Employment Practitioners Guide to Financial Institutions”.